Friday, November 13, 2015

Yes, You SHOULD Take Part in #NanoWriMo!

I planned to update this more often through this process, but I have so many irons in the fire on so many different projects that have absolutely nothing to do with writing, I don't know how I've managed to write 20,000+ words in two weeks! But, I have!!!  Hurray!  That's the cover for it here in the post.  I can't wait to see how well it's received.

If you're reading this, there's a big chance you've been trying to figure out whether you should take part, next year (or maybe you're feeling ambitious and trying to decide if you can do it in the next two weeks!).  The answer is a resounding, YES! I've barely taken advantage of the wonderful motivational tools available, but I've found that other participants are very supportive via social media, tremendously so, and it's really helped me stay motivated.

Not to mention, I'm competitive as hell and the last thing I want to do is leave this thing undone.  So, I've actually set a goal of finishing just over a week early.  It's ambitious, yes, but it's not impossible.  One thing that this whole process has reminded me of is the absolute necessity to MAKE time for writing.  If you're going to do it, DO IT!  The only way you're going to make any progress on finishing a book is to actually spend time writing it. I can't tell you how many people have told me, "Gosh, I would like to write a book, but I just don't know where to begin."  My answer is always, "At the beginning!"  Most of what you write in that first draft will need some pretty heavy editing anyway, so you just have to get something on the page.


Don't allow fear of the unknown keep you from even starting!  #NanoWriMo is a wonderful way to keep you moving towards "The End".  Even if you don't quite keep the pace and finish Nano, which I would encourage you to do, at least you will have gotten started.  It's been an amazing journey so far and I'm already thinking of ideas for next year's month and I can't believe I haven't taken part before now!

Visit www.nanowrimo.org if you want to take a look around for more motivation and tips.  But, don't wait another second if you're thinking about getting started this year!  You never know, you may have the next big title inside you just waiting to be written! --Shana James

No comments:

Post a Comment