Wednesday, October 14, 2015

T.I., Women and Romance Novels

Yesterday, as I pumped away at my gym, I looked up at one of the televisions to see a few talking heads discussing comments that rapper T.I. had made regarding women and their ability to lead the United States while on the Whoolywood Shuffle radio show.  I'm going to cut to the chase.  He said we shouldn't.  He made a number of ridiculous remarks about women being too emotional and too irrational to lead the free world, even going so far as to say he believed the Loch Ness Monster could be elected before a woman, then promptly apologized via his Twitter account (after his publicist and wife no doubt chewed him out) saying:
My comments about women running for president were unequivocally insensitive and wrong.  I sincerely apologize to everyone I offended.
There's a black man in the White House, right now, and T.I. said he believed the Loch Ness Monster could get elected before a woman.  What a sad, sad state of mind to live with.  NUMEROUS industrialized nations (still not in the United States...) have had females lead them, and yes, we could argue about their effectiveness while in power, but it is not women who have led the world into the vast majority of wars that have decimated the lives of countless individuals.  It is not women who created the A-bomb or the machine gun or any number of other atrocities that cause mass destruction.  So, who's really irrational and overly-emotional? 

T.I.'s wife Tiny reportedly said he was just an "old school" guy who believes a man should take care of women and such.  That's all well and good, but as a father with daughters in the 21st century, he should have known better than to say that crap on a live mic.  Men like T.I. are the reason why women read romance novels in droves -- looking for a man who wouldn't say such stupid shit.  Are most of the guys in romance novels mere figments of a writer's imagination?  Most likely.  But, so long as real-life men are saying and doing dumb shit like stating that a mythical creature could be elected President of the United States before a woman, women will continue to drop those credit card digits like they're hot. Do better, T.I. or at least don't say that shit on a hot mic.  --Shana James

2 comments:

  1. I do not subscribe to what T.I. said. I believe the world was created for everybody. We should not equate leadership to only men. There are a number of Women in the world who have distinguished themselves from the rest of their peer - both in the political world and in the business world. There is therefore no correlation between men and good leadership. However because the society placed so much priority to the men folks, we tend to believe that the men should spare head the affairs of our world. I believe that, it is T.I. that is very emotional and irrational here and not the women. Even though the women have continued to struggle for gender equality, I think, they may never be a time when this will take hold of our international discourse. I know the women folks are angry, at this comment, especially the women in politics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God, T.I. apologized. Or I guess he said this for his upcoming album. But seriously, we have great world leaders who are women too. I wouldnt have crucified T.I. if he said, men are the cause of the problems we are facing in the world today. But then since the men have failed us, why not try the women.

    ReplyDelete